SIDE PROJECT MARKETING IS THE NEW KING
Blogging is an interesting journey. At the beginning, hitting the publish button seems to be the most difficult step. Once you are finally over it, you are likely to struggle with the next hurdle: hitting that publish button on a consistent basis.
Talking about consistency, in his 6000th blog post last week, the legend Seth Godin reminded us once again that you can’t build authority overnight:
“Abbey Ryan has painted a new painting every day for 8 years. Isaac Asimov published 400 books, by typing every day. This is post #6000 on this blog. Writer’s block is a myth, a recent invention, a cultural malady.”
But enough with this writer’s block. What if you really need a shortcut?
What if publishing content regularly is not for you?
What if your business urgently needs quick traction in order to survive?
Advertising immediately pops up in your mind as an alternative method to buy your way through. Renting the short-term attention of your target audience by interrupting them in the middle of what they were busy doing isn’t always the best idea, however.
It turns out 95 percent of people don’t like being interrupted and the other 5 percent hate it. “We hate advertising so much, we’ve trained ourselves not to look at the top or right sidebar on most sites,” Jeffrey put it recently.
“Of course, people have been blocking ads forever. By ignoring them,” addedGodin, suggesting once again that the best way to contact your users is by earning the privilege to contact them, over time.
OK, but wait:
If blogging takes ages and ads don’t work, is there an alternative thatdoesn’t cost money or annoy people? An alternative that brings quick traction and results?
The answer is YES. Indeed, this alternative has been bringing millions of website visitors to those who were quick enough to get the hang of it.
Welcome to the world of side project marketing, an underrated alternative between advertising and content marketing that is just starting to take over the world.
Side Project Marketing Is the New King
“We had no money. We changed our business model and had 3 months worth of cash left to turn things around. If we didn’t we were toast. Done. We needed to find customers. But no one knew who we were. A marketing budget? Please. We were just trying to keep the lights on,” starts Mikael , founder of Crew , explaining how side projects saved their startup.
They decided to give away for free all the extra photos they didn’t use that they had shot for their website redesign.
A Tumblr theme and three hours later, they launched Unsplash — a side project which not only saved their startup, but turned into a standalone product that generates a mind-blowing 11 million unique visitors/month.